Metro El Rufai Speaks: What I'm Doing to End Southern Kaduna Killing Spree

L

LequteMan

Governor Nasir El-Rufai has enumerated measures and approaches his government is making use of to end the current killing spree in Southern Kaduna.

He revealed the measures on Sunday when he was visited by traditional rulers in the state.

According to him, the measures include establishing permanent military presence in the area in the form of barracks, arresting and prosecuting those perpetrating the killings and reviving the reconciliatory efforts already started in the past.

“I have met the chief of army staff and he has approved the establishment of two battalions in southern Kaduna, one in Kafanchan and the other one in Kachia. I thought the one in Kachia will be sited elsewhere because of the presence of both the Nigerian Army and Navy Schools but I know the military has a reason of putting it in Kachia," he explained.

“The second measure is that those involved in attacking and killing people and those behind the violence are being tracked and we have made the arrests of some who will be prosecuted. In our opinion, it is a big issue because this issue is largely an issue of impunity.

“The third measure is that we have to go back to the dialogue and reconciliation efforts we started in the past. We have the Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue that has been working in southern Kaduna in the past two years. They have done similar work in Jos in reconciling the conflicting communities in Plateau, and when they completed that assignment, we invited them to come to southern Kaduna. They facilitated the signing of Kafanchan Declaration in April 2016,” el-Rufai said.

According to him, apart from these measures, the doors of his office remain open for anyone that has a recommendation or any advice on how to tackle these challenges, noting, however, that ultimately, the people of the area must be ready to be tolerant and forgive past hurts in order to move forward in peace.

Leadership

Attachments

• el rufai bomb.jpg
    el rufai bomb.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 16
Back