Sports EPL: Weekend's fixtures, preview of Man Utd vs Liverpool and comments from the top managers

About three weeks ago Chelsea looked very distant from the chasing pack, but the table now tells a different tale.

The Blues were on a league of their own, running the show, and was constantly used as a benchmark that other teams could only aspire for.

Having looked out of sight then, it is surprising that despite being afar off before, they are presently just three points above the defending champions, Manchester City, and it is not yet even Christmas.

There was so much talk about how Jose Mourinho's team would go the entire campaign unbeaten, emulating Arsenal's 2003/2004 'invincibles' but it was not to be as Newcastle aborted that dream last weekend.

A 2-1 defeat at Saint James Park just opened the vista for other teams to come into the contention.

Although they are still the odds on favour to win the league, last week's defeat against the Magpies have cast aspersions if they will still run away with the league title.

To this week's action, all eyes would be at Old Trafford when Manchester United host Liverpool on Sunday.

The rivalry between these two clubs is legendary, and it has always been a keenly contested affair between them.

These days, both United and Liverpool now go up against each other and the match is not seen as a title decider.

It used to be like that in the past, but a lot of water seems to have passed under the bridge now.

On current form, United are superior than their counterparts Liverpool who are struggling to hit their form of last season.

Coach Louis Van Gaal's team has won their last five matches in a row, while Liverpool have been stuttering.

United's defence looks what they have been all season, weak. However, Liverpool's attack looks even weaker. No bite and you would wonder where the goals will come from.

But one thing that has been constant in this fixture, intrigues, there is passion infused in it.

The team that does not fall short will carry the day, it is just that Liverpool will definitely not be on rampage like they were last season, when the trio of Raheem Sterling, Daniel Sturridge and Luis Suarez ran United's defence ragged.

That said, we have compiled the comments of the top coaches as usual, to serve you their thoughts going into this weekend's games.

Arsene Wenger:
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger revealed that Aaron Ramsey, Laurent Koscielny and Nacho Monreal have all been ruled out for the visit of Newcastle United to the Emirates.

Ramsey went from scoring a tremendous goal in their 4-1 defeat of Galatasaray in the Champions League to copping a mysterious injury.

"It's a shame because he was getting close to matching last season's form" Wenger said.

Speaking about the game against Newcastle: "They are doing well and are on a good run so it'll be a good challenge for us. Overall we are on a good trend."

Responding to questions about the booing he got at a train station after their defeat to Stoke, the Frenchman added: "Society wants to win the next game and it's a permanent tribunal for everyone."

Wenger also confirmed that they might not be signing anybody, if all their injured players returns fit.

"If everybody is fit then we don't need to go into the transfer market" he said.

Jose Mourinho:
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes that they have completely evolved from the last season when they faced Hull City.

The Portuguese further added that his team has been transformed now.

"We are a completely different team to the one which played Hull at home last season. We are a better team, so are Hull.

"We are playing very well in almost every game, there hasn't been one bad performance. We cannot do any more than we are doing."

And Mourinho confirmed that Cesc Fabregas will miss the game as he is suspended, as well as Thibaut Courtois who is injured.

"Cesc [Fabregas] has been amazing for us but he's suspended for tomorrow so we don't think about him. We trust the other players.

"Against Sporting [Andre] Schurrle and [Mohamed] Salah did well, the team did well and that was very nice for me."

"Courtois had a little problem in training, a muscular problem, and he's not available for tomorrow.

"Petr Cech had our confidence even when Courtois was playing. We know what we have, he has absolutely nothing to prove.

"I don't think any one player will play all six matches, maybe some will play five."

Manuel Pellegrini:
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini revealed that two of his key men will be available for the game against Leicester City.

"Vincent Kompany is in the squad list so I don't think he will have any problem to play tomorrow. David Silva didn't feel any pain in the knee from the 30 minutes in Rome so I think he will be fit."

On the contract situation of Joe Hart, which will see him sign an improved deal: "I think it is close. Joe wants to stay here and we want him to be our goalkeeper."

The Chilean also spoke about Sergio Aguero, who has been ruled out for at least four weeks with a knee ligament injury: "Sergio is a very important player, but I don't think this team depends just on Aguero."

Brendan Rodgers:
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is looking at changing the fortunes of the club. With the Reds going out of the Champions League in midweek, it couldn't get any worse when they travel to Manchester United.

"This is always a massive game in the fixture list in this country'" Rodgers said.

"We are focused on improving performance levels and we very much believe that we can do that."

On Balotelli: "We'll see what his fitness is like. In the last few days he's looked good'"

"He's been out for a little while now, but in the last couple of days he's looked good in training.

"We'll give him every chance to see if he can come into the squad."

Louis Van Gaal:
Manchester United manager Louis Van Gaal aimed a jibe at some of the reporters when asked what the fans had been saying about this fixture with Liverpool.

"You know them better than I because I hear in every press conference that the fans are saying this or that so I assume you are speaking to the supporters a lot.'"

The Dutchman did confirm that Angel Di Maria will miss the game having not yet recovered from his hamstring injury.

On Di Maria's injury he said: "I am not a doctor so I cannot answer but I know he is not ready for Liverpool."

However he confirmed that Phil Jones and Rafael are both back in the squad.

"As I have said already last week, the light at the end of the tunnel is in sight and I believe that by the end of December maybe we shall only have three or four injuries," Van Gaal told MUTV at the Aon Training Complex on Friday.

Saturday's Fixtures
Burnley vs Southampton 4:00
Chelsea vs Hull 4:00
Crystal Palace vs Stoke 4:00
Leicester vs Man City 4:00
Sunderland vs West Ham 4:00
West Brom vs Aston Villa 4:00
Arsenal vs Newcastle 6.30

Sunday's Fixtures
Manchester United vs Liverpool 2:30
Swansea vs Tottenham 5:00

Monday
Everton vs QPR 9.00

(* The respective kick-off times for the matches, are all Nigerian time)

Van Gaal.jpg

Back