Sports Fernando Gago denies Argentina's dependence on Lionel Messi

T

Titilope Adeuja

rsz_asg-025021.jpg
Argentine midfielder, Fernando Gago has rubbished claims that Argentina completely depends on Lionel Messi at the FIFA World Cup.

Reports had been awash with the goal scoring form of the four-time Ballon d'Or winner, but Gago has displaced the accusation.

However, Gago, said the team is getting more solid with Messi's form in Brazil.

"We have to enjoy Leo. Having him on the squad and with his current level and knowing he can win a game at any time.

"I do not know if it is a dependency, he is the best player in the world and we must try to take advantage of that in every way.

"When he scores two goals, when he scores one, when he scores the winning goal it is important.

"I don't think we entirely depend on him but we do try to take advantage of him and enjoy his performance."

Argentina will more so depend on Messi since the hamstring injury of Sergio Aguero will affect the Manchester City player's World Cup chances further.

Compatriot and midfielder, Ricky Alvarez, however, is certain that there is enough to cover for the absence of Aguero.

"Of course the discomfort that Sergio felt is not a good thing for Argentina. However, we must wait to hear what the doctor says.

"Everybody talks about the group, and these are the situations where the group has to step up. If he has to be out some games, to rest and to get well, the one who plays in his place will try his best.

"Everyone here wants to play and I think in these cases is when the group we talk about so much, must step up."

Last edited:
Back