'HND, Bsc Certificate Dichotomy is Unfair- Osun Lawmaker

A

abujagirl

Folorunso Bamisayemi, Chairman, Osun state House of Assembly Committee on Education, Science and Technology, has described the dichotomy between #HigherNationalDiploma (HND) and Bachelor of Science (B.sc) as unjust and unfair.

Bamisayemi said this in an interview in #Osogbo on Tuesday.

He said that there was no evidence to show that B.Sc holders were superior to HND holders in terms of competence. He said that the training of HND graduates was to complement the B.sc, adding that it was high time government removed the dichotomy and recognized both the B.sc and HND holders and treat them as equals.

"Creating dichotomy between HND and B.sc holders was rather unfortunate because many of the polytechnics have expanded and upgraded their curriculum to that of the university level. I don’t think there is any need for this dichotomy because both the HND and B.sc graduates have the same process of training,’’ Bamisayemi stressed,’’ he said.

He added that rather than placing emphasis on certificate, competence should be the yardstick for such disparity and not the certificate an individual was holding.

"I don’t believe in certificate but rather competence and I urge government to embrace this view so that both HND and degree holders can have the same sense of belonging in the society.’’

Bamisayemi however commended the Federal Government for setting up a committee to resolve the issue surrounding the dichotomy, saying "it is a right step in the right direction".

He said that harmonisation of both certificates was long overdue and urged members of the committee to tread softly so as not to bruise the ego of degree holders.

He said that the committee should try as much as possible to enlighten stakeholders in the education sector to enable them understand the reason such dichotomy should be resolved.

"You know in Nigeria, we attach value and sentiments to titles and certificates and for the committee to have a successful outing, all stakeholders must be carried along,’’ he said.

Bamisayemi also urged the committee to make its final findings and report known to the public.

The Federal Government had set up a committee to resolve the #HND and degree holders’ dichotomy.

education.jpg

Back