Politics I Once Believed in Buhari - Orubebe Explains His Infamous Election Day Drama

L

LequteMan

Former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Godsday Orubebe, in an interview published by Daily Trust opened up on his relationship with President Muhammadu Buhari and his infamous drama during collation of the 2015 presidential results.

The former Chairman of ANPP said it was because of Buhari that he visited Dutse for the first time.

"It was in 2003 and we were campaigning. The day we received Buhari in Kano was a great day. We got to Dutse at about 2:00am and we received Buhari at 5:00pm. It was also because of Buhari that I went to Kebbi and Sokoto," he said.

According to him, the reason Nigerians voted for Buhari is because they believed in those principles "I once believed in."

"A few things he has done showed that he is still the same person I worked for," he said, and proceeded to speak on his infamous drama on 2015 presidential election collation day.

"There is no Nigerian who, given the situation I was in, would not react the way I did and at the appropriate time, when my book is written, people will know exactly what happened. I was one of the closest people to Goodluck Jonathan. I was working with security agents, so, I knew many things. Apart from that, the PDP wrote a petition and we took it to the INEC office but there was nobody to receive it. We then took the petition to the INEC chairman at that time, Attahiru Jega.

"He gave the petition to his personal assistant in the morning only for one small girl, in the evening around 8:00pm, to throw the petition at us, saying Jega said he was not going to take our petition. I said Jega should please give me an explanation and he said he would not give me an explanation.

"So, I said ‘if you don’t give me an explanation, this thing will not move forward.’

Attachments

• orubebe00.PNG
    orubebe00.PNG
    398.2 KB · Views: 16
Back