Sports Keshi confident Nigeria will beat Argentina; sends birthday messages to Messi

rsz_keshi_1 (1).jpg
Super Eagles gaffer Stephen Keshi has expressed confidence that his side is poised to cart all the three points in their last group game against Argentina in Port Alegre on Wednesday and at the same time has extended birthday wishes to Lionel Messi who turned 27 on Tuesday.

The Stephen Keshi-led team requires just a point to progress to the second round since 1998, however, a defeat will see them through if Iran fail to beat Bosnia in the other encounter.

The former Mali and Togo boss, who's expecting over eighty thousand supporters from Brazilians against their arch-rivals expressed that his boys will not be intimidated by the predominant support base that Port Alegre will offer to the Albiceleste.

“We’re here to play, if we have the support of the Brazilians we will appreciate it. But we are not looking at that, we are just here to win our game,” Keshi told journalists.

Tomorrow's game will increase the tally between the two sides to four times in the World Cup, with the South Americans having won all three previous encounters.

All attention is on one man, captain Lionel Messi who has scored twice already and is familiar with the Nigerians. The talisman got a birthday message from the Nigeria coach.

“My team and I want to wish him a very happy birthday. We want to wish him a healthy long life, all his heart’s desires,” Keshi said.

“If there is a way to stop him, it is something that I will share with my players and coaches.”

Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama, who gave a yeoman performance against Messi at the 2010 World Cup also praised the player but said he is not up against one man but the whole Argentina front line.

“He’s one of the best players in the world and has made a lot of progress since the last time we met,” Enyeama said.

“It might not be a game between him and me, it’s going to be Nigeria against Argentina. There are other players like [Sergio] Aguero and [Angel] di Maria.

“I watch tapes of opponents, I have done that. We have studied their tapes, their strengths and weaknesses.”

The technical crew will decide if defender Godfrey Oboabona is fit enough to start tomorrow as the coach said he is back to training after his injury against Iran.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back