Sports Keshi not good enough for Nigeria: He picks his team with sentiments - Babayaro

Former Nigerian international Emmanuel Babayaro has said that Stephen Keshi is not the right person to coach the Super Eagles.

Babayaro believes that Keshi manages the Super Eagles team with sentiments,and does not hand invitations to the right players.

Keshi is yet to renew his contract with the Nigeria Football Federation(NFF) as they are said to be deliberating and wants a decision to be made after their election this month.

But the poor start to the 2015 Nations Cup qualifiers has arisen doubts whether his contract should be renewed.

“I don’t think Keshi is the man for the job. I never thought any Nigerian coach is the right person for the Eagles. And note this, it has nothing to do with their ability as coaches. As coaches they may be terrific, but I have always maintained, an average Nigerian myself inclusive, we are very sentimental people and football and sentiments don’t go together," Babayaro told AfricanFootball.com

“That is why we have this situation where Keshi never invites the best hands, for one sentimental reason or the other. On a good day, somebody else without sentiments would have invited every other person.”

“We have to bring the players. They will create competition which at the end of the day makes every other player better.”

Keshi vs Bosnia.gif

Back