Metro Man Shoots Wife, Says "She Begged Me to Kill Her"

is the killing justified even at her request?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bolanle Akanji

kypd101-828_2013_195515_high.jpg

A man, Ernest Chris Chumbley, fatally shot his wife of over 20 years, Virginia Chumbley after she allegedly begged him to end her suffering from cancer.

“I shot her,” Chumbley said while incarcerated at Laurel County jail. “She died from my shots, but it’s not murder.”

He called the police after the shots to confess crying throughout the call.

Virginia Wembley suffered from breast cancer for many years before the fateful day and was in severe pain everyday.

“I just did what she asked,” he said. “And I would expect no different from her if I was asking her.”

He was arrested without incident in the living room.

“The only reason I could think he shot her is she probably asked him to, because she was hurting so bad,” a neighbour, Stan Campbell said.

Last edited by a moderator:
kai, its complicated oh!the pain of cancer is horrible, after loosing my parents to that dreaded disease. i really dont know what to say.

kai, its complicated oh!the pain of cancer is horrible, after loosing my parents to that dreaded disease. i really dont know what to say.
Eyah....I'm so sorry.
But the guy should be prosecuted pronto. She being sick doesn't give him the right to shoot her.

Er. Euthanasia, or mercy killing, has always been an issue of moral debate. Some people advocate that euthanasia should be crime, but others say that there are times when it is necessary, for example, in the case of this woman who was obviously in pain. Now, assume you know in the end, the person will still die - what is the point of prolonging their anguish if the end is still death?

The man performed a mercy killing. While he may be prosecuted for that, I think he should be let off by a jury of his peers. The pain, guilt and anguish he will be feeling for taking her life is enough recompense for the act.

Poor woman. Poor man. God help them.

Er. Euthanasia, or mercy killing, has always been an issue of moral debate. Some people advocate that euthanasia should be crime, but others say that there are times when it is necessary, for example, in the case of this woman who was obviously in pain. Now, assume you know in the end, the person will still die - what is the point of prolonging their anguish if the end is still death?

The man performed a mercy killing. While he may be prosecuted for that, I think he should be let off by a jury of his peers. The pain, guilt and anguish he will be feeling for taking her life is enough recompense for the act.

Poor woman. Poor man. God help them.
It's still a crime. You don't have the power to take another person's life, no matter the situation.

Back