Sports Super Eagles demands $2million from the NFF

Super Eagles vs Greece.gif
Reports have emerged that the Super Eagles have demanded the sum of $2million from the Nigeria Football Federation(NFF) as its share of the FIFA subvention given to Nigeria for qualifying for the 2014 FIFA World Cup tournament in Brazil.

According to The Punch newspaper,the Federal Government delegation led by the Senate President,David Mark met with the team in Brazil and wanted to hear them speak on their grievances with the football hierarchy in the country.

It is understood that the players told him(Mark)that they want the NFF to give them $2million out of the $8million that FIFA paid to Nigeria for the World Cup.

Nigeria's preparations for the World Cup was almost thwarted after the players intially protested on that grounds and threatened to down tools if their demands were not met.

It took the intervention of the government officials before a temporary peace deal was brokered.

Government officials met the Super Eagles in Sao Paulo before they departed for Curitiba where they played Iran in Nigeria's first game at the World Cup.

Even in the meeting with the Senate president,the players did not buck as they maintained their ground,with coach Stephen Keshi later apologizing on behalf of his players.

The National Sports Commission had to release a press statement denying that they abandoned the Super Eagles after their draw against Iran,obviously as the meeting did not go according as they had envisaged.

And what should be spent on developing the game at the grass roots. They want 25%! Well probably because they know the NFF will not use the money for anything. Really disappointed! [USERGROUP=4]@Senior Curators[/USERGROUP]

I think they deserve it they worked for it....... They had wanted to spend the money somehow and if the Eagles, who truly deserve the money don't get it, then the money will suddenly disappear from the vault and nobody will be blamed for it.........

I think they deserve it they worked for it....... They had wanted to spend the money somehow and if the Eagles, who truly deserve the money don't get it, then the money will suddenly disappear from the vault and nobody will be blamed for it.........

Who worked for it :) The world cup is the biggest show on earth and playing there can change their lives. If the players or team play well they will be earning a minimum of 25K per week = 100K per month in a club in Europe. Some of the players were not part of the qualifying team. Don't get me wrong, I am not in support of the NFF. But if we have a good system that money will be spent building the next generation of players. 25% is way too much. But NFF should also open their books so we see how much is invested in development of the game at youth level across the country

When those boys qualified Nigeria, FIFA gave 9 million dollars appearance fee, where is the money? and don't forget that the NFF also gave FG a budget towards world cup....... The NFF people are just living large on other people's sweat....... They should explain themselves

This issue is embarrassing. Didn't Super Eagles get their usual allowance? Why are they agitating for 25% of the whole money?

I thought playing for one's country is a thing of pride and has nothing to do with money

We understand the NFF have lots of problems to say the least. We could speculate about how they spend funds and the corruption. My main argument here is that they players have the previledge to play on the biggest stage of all. This provides a direct boost to them and after the world cup most if not all will earn aleast $25K per week ($100k per month).

They should be clamouring for the NFF to use the money to develop the game in Nigeria. Working with them to run camps etc for the next generation.

Those players aren't using their world cup appearances in the right manner.

Conventionally, players perform well in the world cup in order to negotiate a better deal with their current clubs or secure a move to a better club.

I see most players from the Costa Rican national team playing in Europe next season- if they aren't playing there already.

But super eagles? "AGive us our $2m or else!" Just like their Cameroonian counterpart.

Back