World What I Did With The $2 million Abacha Gave Me - Ex-Ghana President, Rawlings

P

PressRoom

Former President of Ghana, Jerry John Rawlings has said that he used the $2 million gift he received from former Nigerian military head of state, General Sani Abacha for the welfare of Ghanaians.

“I used it for nationalistic purposes [and] my comrades in those days knew about it,” he said.

upload_2017-6-5_16-1-29.png

The former President disclosed this when he addressed a gathering at the 38th Anniversary of the June 4, 1979, uprising held in the Upper West Regional town of Wa Sunday.

Rawling's comments come on the back of claims by some Ghanaians that he used the cash gift for his personal benefits.

Dr Henry Lartey, the flagbearer of the Great Consolidated Popular Party (GCPP) had indicated that the ex-president lied to Ghanaians about the amount of money he received from Mr Abacha, saying Rawlings received $5million and not $2million as he had earlier claimed.

He subsequently petitioned the Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO) for it to investigate the alleged cash gift.

Back