Sports Adeyinka Ahmed Crowned 47th Asoju Oba Tennis Championship Men's Singles Winner

Adeyinka Ahmed has attributed his victory over team mate, Ayo Omotara in the final of the 2015 Asoju Oba Molade Thomas-Okoya table tennis men's singles championship to Allah.

imagesq.jpg

Ahmed, who successfully defended the title he won last year disclosed that the game wasn't easy for him but for the grace of Allah, describing Ayo as a top player in Nigeria.

He further revealed that his chairman, Ojez Table Tennis Club has vowed to take him on Euro tour if he won this tournament, and ofcourse, this excites the back to back champions of the title.

"It's not easy at all, Ayo is a good player. If I have to rate Ayo, he will be amongst top ten table tennis player in Nigeria. "

"Yes, whatever happens to me is because Allah wants it, it is Allah that gave me this victory."

"I'd believed that I would win, despite losing two sets back to back, but deep down within me, the believe was there and that helped me to win the title the second time."

"Ojez haven't done anything for me now, I just joined then after returning from Italy to test my ability and improve my skills, and Ojez is the best place to do that, and for now that I've joined the club, I expect good things to start happening."

"My chairman has promised me that if I win this championship, he will take me take me on tour in any European country of my choosing."

Meanwhile, Ayo Omotaran who also play for Ojez TTC blamed his loss on his slow start, saying Ahmed took advantage of that to gain confidence.

Ayo lost his first two games before catching up with Ahmed after their sixth game, but the decider was the 7th game when Ahmed edged Ayo out with just one point.

"I was a late starter and that was why I lost the game. He had won two sets ahead of me and I still managed to catch up with him."

"I really don't know what happened to me earlier in the game which he took advantage off and before I gained. My confidence back, he was already ahead."

"I need to train harder and learn more technicalities of the game."

In the female category, Union Bank table tennis club's Bose Odusanya beat Durosimi Etti-Tolu of Union Maritime TTC 3-2 to emerge as the champions of the female singles category.

While, Ayanwale Jamiu of Ojez TTC beat Bright Emeka of Summer TTC 3-0 to clinch the cadet boys singles category of the championship.

Jamiu won a sum of #50,000 naira cask prize, which was presented to him in cheque and a fridge-tray.

Apart from that, the chairman of the Lagos State Sports Commission, Deji Tinubu disclosed that the commission has awarded the winner of the cadet boys and girls category scholarships that will see them through secondary school.

He explained that it's the little the commission can offer and it will continue so long there life, to continue to support the legacy of late chief Molade. Okoya-Thomas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back