Politics Buhari Refuses to Apologize For Jailing Journalists in 1984,Promises Press Freedom in 2015

A

abujagirl

Muhammadu Buhari, presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC on Tuesday refused to apologize for jailing Nigerian journalists in 1984 when he served as military dictator of Nigeria.

THIS DAY reports that Buhari, who during an interactive session yesterday in Abuja with proprietors of newspapers who met him under the auspices of the Nigerian Press Organisation (NSO), missed the golden opportunity for a mea culpa when he was pointedly asked by the Chairman/Editor-in-Chief of THISDAY, Nduka Obaigbena, if he was prepared to offer an apology to the journalists jailed by his military junta in 1984.

Buhari ignored the question. Rivers state Governor, Rotimi Amaechi who is the director-general of the APC presidential campaign organisation then answered for him using one of his earlier quotes, ''I cannot change the past, but I can change the present and the future''.

Buhari, however promised to uphold press freedom if elected President of Nigeria in the 2015 presidential elections. Speaking by himself, Buhari said, ''I am not only subjecting myself to the rigours of democratic elections for the fourth time, but even after being elected, I will continue to promote the consolidation of democracy in our great country, Nigeria, by guaranteeing that the media’s freedom is not compromised in any way.

''I give you my full assurances that the Nigerian media will be free under our APC government''.

#Buhari #APC

Buhari suave look.png

Back