Politics Don't Ask Lawmakers to Take Pay Cut,Oil Workers Earn More -Hon. Edionwele

A

abujagirl

Hon. Joe Edionwele, member representing Esan West, Esan Central and Igueben Federal Constituency in the newly-inaugurated House of Representatives, says Nigerians should not ask lawmakers to take pay cuts because workers in other sectors earn more.

Hon. Joe Edionwele.jpg

According to THIS DAY, Edionwele in a chat with journalists in Abuja monday, said contrary to popular opinion, some lecturers, bankers and oil workers earn more than federal lawmakers.

He said, ''pay cut will not in any way increase the financial base of the nation. I think people are speaking out of ignorance. Even before now, I was one of those who believed the same thing. The records will be made public. We will ensure that the National Assembly does that. Nigerians need to know.

''The salaries we earn are not in any way close to what people speculate. People in the oil and gas sector, banking and even lecturing earn more than the president and us''.

''One of my friends told me that the salary and allowances I will earn will be N40 million. I told him if I get that for 10 months, I will resign. I can tell you that by the time it is made public, people will sympathise with us. Legislators should earn well so that they will not be corrupt during their oversight functions. But it should not be bloated'', he said.

Back