Sports EPL: Managers' comments, weekend's fixtures and preview on Liverpool vs Chelsea

It is the final weekend before the international break casts its gloomy spell on spectators who have a weekly ritual of watching the English Premier League(EPL).

Next weekend, players would have travelled to their respective countries to observe the international week.

Players will travel the long distance of coming back for the 2015 African Nations Cup qualifiers, while some would make the short trip from their clubs to go and play in the Euro qualifiers.

But before it happens, let's savour the enticing matches on offer this weekend then brace ourselves for the two-week break from the Premiership.

The top of the pile will be at Anfield, where a lot is expected to go down.

Will Liverpool avenge last season's loss? Will Chelsea's unbeaten run be halted by Livepool? so many unanswered questions that will be addressed on Saturday.

A lot is riding on this fixture that it looks like a travesty of sort to miss this contest between Liverpool and Chelsea.

It could be a match that Liverpool blows away their Champions League hopes for next season, if they fail to win.

Or a game that Chelsea will go completely out of sight from the chasing pack, establish an unassailable lead that is insurmountable.

Below, we assembled the thoughts of the managers about the game, and we equally got that of other top managers about their own fixtures.

Liverpool:
We start with Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers who defended the team that he fielded in their 1-0 loss away to Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League.

Many opined that he rested some of his key players because of this game against Chelsea.

"I put out the best team I thought could get a result against Real Madrid," he said. "My players were magnificent on the night."

"It [criticism] doesn't affect me in any way.

"You just have to focus on your job. I make decisions in the best interests of Liverpool Football Club.

"Our idea was to stay in the game for 60 to 65 minutes and then open up the game in the closing stages. I was very proud of the players."

Speaking about Liverpool's struggles this season, Rodgers said: "We haven't been consistent enough. We are trying to find the balance to score more goals."

Chelsea:
Jose Mourinho confirmed that Diego Costa will start against Liverpool, and also expressed his delight that the 26-year-old striker happy was left out of the Spanish squad for the Euro qualifiers.

"We think he is ready to start the match tomorrow," Mourinho said. "In the 15 days (international break) he can rest and work. It is fantastic news for us. I thank the Spain FA for the decision that they made.

"The plan is to have period of complete rest after the match for a few days, and after that to continue the specific work he is doing without having a match to play on the weekend."

Speaking about the game against Liverpool, Mourinho knows that the Anfield atmosphere will be different from other games: "The crowd can influence the match in a big way at Anfield. I like to play there, but I have to say that some people feel the atmosphere in a negative way, but that's not my case. I like it, and it doesn't affect my players' performance, but in the past we have clear examples of it affecting other performances, goals that are not goal, penalties that are not given."

And the Portuguese didn't fail to take a swipe at Liverpool over Steven Gerrard's slip during this fixture last season.

"[The Steven Gerrard slip] gave the title to Man City,"Mourinho said. "It's as simple as that. If Liverpool had got a point in that match, they would have been champions, but it meant nothing to us, as we weren't in the title race.

"I think Liverpool have to think about this season. I think they have enough motivation. I think if I was in that position I would go back to last season for the good memories, all the great matches they played."

"In the Premier League, I am not surprised with anything. Every match is difficult, you don't know when people are going to lose points. After the World Cup is difficult, you don't have time to have a proper pre-season."

Arsenal:
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is still in "shock" how they blew a 3-0 lead against Anderlecht in their UEFA Champions League game on Tuesday.

"We can learn a lot from what happened," says Wenger, 65. "Subconsciously we thought the game was over and it rarely is."

On the criticism of his tactics on the night from TV pundits he adds: "That's the job of people who work on TV or in newspapers. They're just doing their job.

"We are very positive inside the camp. We are not affected by negativity. We are not happy when we don't win but that's it."

Wenger however defended Aaron Ramsey, shielding him from the criticisms he has been getting of late.

"A midfielder is a guy who defends well and makes the other players play well. When you score and have a disastrous game people say you play well but you have to keep your priorities right."

Manchester City:
To compound to Manchester City's worries, manager Manuel Pellegrini confirmed that their captain Vincent Kompany will miss Saturday's trip to Queens Park Rangers because of an injury.

"It is not serious but I don't know if he will be ready for his international squad," said Pellegrini of the defender.

On Frank Lampard's return, the Chilean said: "He is just coming back from injury. I hope he will return the same way he was before his injury."

And Pellegrini also dismissed reports that Ivorian midfielder, Yaya Toure will be sold following his recent poor performances for the club.

"There are a lot of reports Yaya will be sold. Nowhere in this club are we talking about that. Yaya is very important."

There is no Champions League game this weekend, but Pellegrini is confident that they can still qualify.

"In my 25 years as a manager, the only pressure I have is managing this team. I never feel external pressure," said the City boss. "Mathematics can give us qualification. We have six points left to play. We can qualify."

Manchester United:
Coach Louis Van Gaal is always blunt and frank with his assessment, and admitted that they have been poor so far.

"It's not good enough," Van Gaal said on their performances. "But on the other hand, we are in a process, as I have said from the beginning.

And the Dutchman thinks that it will take the time to fully match their potentials.

"The process shall take more than one year; it shall take three years."

"I feel for the fans in the first place and the board because they have a great belief in me, my staff and my players," he added.

Fixtures:

Liverpool vs Chelsea
Burnley vs Hull
Manchester Utd vs Crystal Palace
Southampton vs Leicester
West Ham vs Aston Villa
QPR vs Manchester City
Sunderland vs Everton
Tottenham vs Stoke
West Brom vs Newcastle
Swansea vs Arsenal

rsz_gerrard.jpg