Business Facebook, Google, Other Tech Companies Oppose Trump's Muslim Ban

A

abujagirl

Some of the biggest technology companies in the world have spoken against the decision of US President Donald Trump to ban citizens of 7 predominantly Muslim countries from entering the US.

Donald Trump2.jpg

A statement by Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg read, ''My great grandparents came from Germany, Austria and Poland. Priscilla's parents were refugees from China and Vietnam. The United States is a nation of immigrants, and we should be proud of that. Like many of you, I'm concerned about the impact of the recent executive orders signed by President Trump.

''We need to keep this country safe, but we should do that by focusing on people who actually pose a threat. Expanding the focus of law enforcement beyond people who are real threats would make all Americans less safe by diverting resources, while millions of undocumented folks who don't pose a threat will live in fear of deportation.

''We should also keep our doors open to refugees and those who need help. That's who we are. Had we turned away refugees a few decades ago, Priscilla's family wouldn't be here today.

That said, I was glad to hear President Trump say he's going to "work something out" for Dreamers -- immigrants who were brought to this country at a young age by their parents. Right now, 750,000 Dreamers benefit from the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program that allows them to live and work legally in the US. I hope the President and his team keep these protections in place, and over the next few weeks I'll be working with our team at FWD.us to find ways we can help.
I'm also glad the President believes our country should continue to benefit from "people of great talent coming into the country." These issues are personal for me even beyond my family. A few years ago, I taught a class at a local middle school where some of my best students were undocumented. They are our future too. We are a nation of immigrants, and we all benefit when the best and brightest from around the world can live, work and contribute here. I hope we find the courage and compassion to bring people together and make this world a better place for everyone.

Google issued a statement that said: “We’re concerned about the impact of this order and any proposals that could impose restrictions on Googlers and their families, or that create barriers to bringing great talent to the US.”

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella in a LinkedIn post said, “As an immigrant and as a CEO, I’ve both experienced and seen the positive impact that immigration has on our company, for the country, and for the world.”

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings on his part said, “These actions will make America less safe (through hatred and loss of allies) rather than more safe.''

Aaron Levie, CEO of the enterprise cloud company Box, said, “On every level – moral, humanitarian, economic, logical, etc – this ban is wrong and completely antithetical to the principles of America.”

Apple CEO Tim Cook in an email to employees wrote, “I’ve heard from many of you who are deeply concerned about the executive order issued yesterday restricting immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries. I share your concerns. It is not a policy we support.''

“There are employees at Apple who are directly affected by yesterday’s immigration order. Our HR, Legal and Security teams are in contact with them, and Apple will do everything we can to support them.''

“Apple is open. Open to everyone, no matter where they come from, which language they speak, who they love or how they worship.”

Sam Altman, president of the influential startup incubator Y Combinator, said, “It is time for tech companies to start speaking up about some of the actions taken by President Trump’s administration.''

“I am obviously in favor of safety and rules, but broad-strokes actions targeted at a specific religious group is the wrong solution, and a first step toward a further reduction in rights.”

“This is not just a Muslim ban. This is a breach of America’s contract with all the immigrants in the nation.”

An email sent by Beth Galetti, Amazon’s vice president of HR, read, “As we’ve grown the company, we’ve worked hard to attract talented people from all over the world, and we believe this is one of the things that makes Amazon great — a diverse workforce helps us build better products for customers.”

eBay founder Pierre Omidyar, ''We already have extreme vetting. Trump's order is simple bigotry.''

Square CEO Jack Dorsey, tweeted, ''The Executive Order's humanitarian and economic impact is real and upsetting. We benefit from what refugees and immigrants bring to the U.S.''

Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky posted on Facebook, "Airbnb is providing free housing to refugees and anyone else who needs it in the event they are denied the ability to board a U.S.-bound flight and are not in your city/country of residence."

Back