Politics FG Sacks Civil Servant for Criticising Okonjo-Iweala

L

LequteMan

SHUAIB.jpg

The former spokesperson of the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, Yushau Shuaib has been sacked by the federal government for writing an article that criticized Finance Minister, Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala, reports PREMIUM TIMES.

The article, titled, “Still on Okonjo-Iweala over Controversial Appointments” published on March 6, also called on the minister “to ensure that appointments into important positions should be done in credible and transparent manners that can withstand public scrutiny.”

Angered by the article, PREMIUM TIMES gathered that Mrs Okonjo-Iweala phoned the Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, and asked him to discipline Mr Shuaib, saying he had wronged her.

According to Mr. Shuaib, the finance minister telephoned him and fumed that he accused her wrongly in the article but that he remained undaunted.

In a letter circulated to his friends and associates on Wednesday morning, Mr. Shuaib said, “Finally on Thursday October 3, 2013, I received a letter of retirement from the Federal Civil Service, which was backdated to June 20, 2013. Though the letter erroneously referred to me as Assistant Chief Information Officer (ACIO) (because as a fact, I had been promoted a Chief Information Officer (CIO) with effect from January 1, 2012), it contained the charge that I was retired for criticising a public officer.

“After consultation with my family members, all of who believe that my life is more precious than political and administrative scheming, I accepted my disengagement from the civil service effective today (October 9, 2013) leaving my traducers in the ultimate court of the creator.

“I had made up my mind about the civil service that I had served diligently and professionally without allowing myself to be influenced or intimidated by anyone.

“I had been summoned, issued letters of queries and confronted with verbal threats in the vain hope that I would retract the write-up and tender an apology. Of course, I stood my grounds in the same way that I had politely declined the minister’s request during the telephone conversation.”

Mr. Shuaib was hired by the federal civil service in 1993 immediately after completing his national youth service assignment, for his dedication and service.

In April, when Mr. Shuaib was recalled from NEMA following the article, Labaran Maku had through a text message told PREMIUM TIMES ,that “The Honourable Minister of Finance didn’t authorise the redeployment and doesn’t have to do so. Such matters are within the purview of the Public Communication and Human Resources Departments."

Back