Sports FIFA ban Italian FA president over racist comments

World football governing body,FIFA has joined European football organisation, UEFA, to sanction the president of the Italian Football Association, Carlo Tavecchio.

FIFA banned Tavecchio for six months over comments he made about African players, describing them as "banana eaters"

Tavecchio was heavily criticised for the comments during his address in an event on Italy's amateur leagues back in July.

After FIFA carried out their own investigations, Tavecchio was then banned him for six months, and he is expected to finish serving out the sentence before the world congress in May 2015.

However he will not be allowed to take part in UEFA's congress in March next year, as part of the punishment.

"FIFA's stance against any form of discrimination is unequivocal," a statement read.

"Article 3 of the FIFA Statutes expressly prohibits discrimination of any kind against persons on account of their race, skin colour, ethnic, national or social origin, gender, language, religion, political opinion, wealth, birth or sexual orientation.

"The resolution on the fight against racism and discrimination advocates the need for strict punishments to send out a strong message that discrimination has no place in the game.

"The decision by the chairman of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee was notified to Mr Tavecchio today."

Tavecchio.jpg

Banana eaters? That was funny and odd in different ways. it's unbelievable that somewhere across the globe are people who think I live of bananas. Hmmmmmmm... Serves Tavecchio right though. Racism has no space in today's footballing structure.

Banana eaters? That was funny and odd in different ways. it's unbelievable that somewhere across the globe are people who think I live of bananas. Hmmmmmmm... Serves Tavecchio right though. Racism has no space in today's footballing structure.

Maybe a two-year ban would have sufficed. Six months looks like a slap on the wrist.

Back