Sports Golf: Tiger Yet To Bite - 9 Shots Behind Spieth

Former world number one, Tiger Woods has insisted that he can win a 15th major this week despite trailing leader Jordan Spieth by nine shots after day one of the Masters at Augusta.

The 39-year-old, who last won a major in 2008 and took a break from the sport to work on his game earlier this year ended his opening round one over par.
woods1.jpg

"I'm still in it. I'm only nine back. We have a long way to go," the four-time Masters champion said.

"I felt good out there. I hit the ball well enough to shoot three under par."

In a poll of 103 Tour professionals before the tournament, 68 stated Woods would not add to his haul of majors and the volatility of his bogey-birdie-par-bogey start through four holes offered little confidence.

But despite one three-putt, he scrambled well around the greens to offer at least some response to scrutiny of his chipping prior to his 64-day break from competitive play.

"It's my strength again," said Woods, who won the last of his Masters titles in 2005. "That's why I've busted my butt. That's why I took time off. That's why I hit thousands and thousands of shots to make sure that it's back to being my strength."

The winner of the tournament in 1997, 2001, 2002 and 2005 drove the ball 261 yards on average, below the 283 averaged by other players in the opening round. BBC

Back