Sports I still want to play for the Super Eagles - Obafemi Martins

Obafemi Martins has revealed that he still wants to play for the Super Eagles of Nigeria.

Martins has been on the fringes for Nigeria since Stephen Keshi took charge of the national team,making limited appearances for the Super Eagles in just friendly games.

The former Inter Milan,Wolfsburg and Newcastle striker has been in scintillating form in Major League Soccer,hitting in the goals for his Seattle Sounders team.

“I said at the start of the season if I was doing well for Seattle and scoring goals, I’d have a chance with Nigeria,” Martins told the BBC Sport.

“But firstly, I want to play regularly here and try to help Seattle Sounders win a trophy.”

Despite being overlooked twice by Keshi in his final squad to major tournaments(Nations Cup and World Cup) Martins said that if invited he would gladly come and play for Nigeria.

“It’s the coach’s decision to invite players but if I can get a recall to the national team, I’ll be honoured,” he added.

“I just need to continue my form here in the United States, give my all to this club and let other things happen naturally.

“I love my country and I always want Nigeria to do well with me in the squad or not.

“If I get another chance, great, and if not, I can only wish my country all the best.”

rsz_martins.jpg

Back