Sports I was better than Maldini – Taribo

Former Super Eagles defender,Taribo West has blasted AC Milan saying that he saw limited playing actions at the club because he was not Italian.
Taribo said that on the four occasions he featured for Milan,he was the best player,going on to allude that he was even better that revered club legend,Paolo Maldini.
The Olympic gold medallist played for only one season,before departing the club and said that he didn’t really get to feature for the club because of Maldini’s “godfather” status.
“There were three of us, but the coach would pick the Italians even though I was clearly the best,” Taribo told Supersport.com.
“In 2000, I played the African Nations Cup with Nigeria and when I returned Maldini was injured. I played the games in his place but I did not get very many.
“I was told clearly that nobody could force out Maldini because he was a godfather in the club.”
“Because I had a good relationship with [Inter president Massimo Moratti], I called him to tell him what was going on,” he continued. “He told me that at AC Milan this was a normal thing.
“No one could take the place of Maldini. I was in shock. At the time they told so many lies about me because they wanted me out.
“During the four games I played, I was always the best player on the field, yet my contract was not renewed.”

Continue reading...

Back