Politics INEC: There Are Too Many Political Parties In Nigeria, 2019 May Not Be Smooth

L

LequteMan

The Independent National Electoral Commission INEC, has expressed concerns over the growing number of political parties in Nigeria.

The Chief Technical Adviser to the INEC Chairman, Prof. Bolade Eyinla, said this may pose challenges for the commission in the 2019 general elections.

“Currently there are 68 registered political parties in Nigeria. As of today, there are more than100 associations that have applied to INEC to register as political parties.

“We are also going to be challenged if these 68 political parties and counting continue this way. We are just a commission. I cannot begin to imagine even as the technical adviser, how we will divide ourselves to monitor party conventions and primaries of 68 political parties across the length and breadth of this country.

“Already we have envisaged some of these challenges and we are coming up with strategies to deal with them in our election project plan.

“Ancillary to this is the fact that political party agents will also increase. I can imagine 68 political party agents in a polling unit. I think these are issues that we have to manage; but most importantly, how do we manage the ballot for 68 political parties?”

Attachments

• mahmud yakubu.jpg
    mahmud yakubu.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 9
Back