World Iran Execution Survivor to be Re-Executed

A

abujagirl

upload_2013-10-18_8-39-8.png

Alireza M. an Iranian man who survived his first execution would be re-executed.

According to CNN, Alireza sentenced for of possessing a kilogram of crystal meth, the 37-year-old man was sentenced to death by hanging at Bojnurd Prison in northeastern Iran. On the morning of October 9, Alireza M. was taken from his cell to the gallows, where the judge who had issued the order read his sentence aloud and official papers were signed.

Then a rope was placed around his neck and he was hanged for 12 minutes, after which his body was lowered and a doctor declared he was dead. The doctor, the judge and the prison head then signed the death certificate, and the body of Alireza M. was taken to a morgue for delivery the following day to his relatives.

However, the next day, a morgue worker noticed that plastic encasing one of the bodies had steam in front of the mouth.

The worker told the doctors at the morgue, who took Alireza M. to Imam Ali hospital in the town of Bojnurd, where he was reported to be feeling better.

A statement issued Wednesday, Amnesty International called for a reprieve. "The horrific prospect of this man facing a second hanging, after having gone through the whole ordeal already once, merely underlines the cruelty and inhumanity of the death penalty.

"The Iranian authorities must immediately halt Alireza M's execution and issue a moratorium on all others".

Mohammad Erfan, the judge who issued the sentence, is relatively unmoved. He is quoted saying, "The sentence is approved and the sentence is death, so we will follow through with the execution order again".

Against all precepts of logic, I am inclined to share @Bolanle Akanji's sentiment. However, in deference to logic, I will explain why I think he should be spared the ordeal of a second noose.

I believe then when someone is executed, he is certified dead by a professional. This should have been done in the first execution, and he would have been confirmed dead, and documents are usually signed to that effect. Therefore, in the eyes of the law, even though he survived the execution, he is dead.

Infact, going by the common statement that the law is blind, the survivor is dead, and shouldn't even have to be re-executed or serve jail time.

The alternative, if we are to pursue the law to its logical conclusion, is just as scary: being dead, the survivor no longer exists, and has no rights and isn't employable.

It's a coin toss: eitherway, lawfully, he's dead.

Against all precepts of logic, I am inclined to share @Bolanle Akanji's sentiment. However, in deference to logic, I will explain why I think he should be spared the ordeal of a second noose.

I believe then when someone is executed, he is certified dead by a professional. This should have been done in the first execution, and he would have been confirmed dead, and documents are usually signed to that effect. Therefore, in the eyes of the law, even though he survived the execution, he is dead.

Infact, going by the common statement that the law is blind, the survivor is dead, and shouldn't even have to be re-executed or serve jail time.

The alternative, if we are to pursue the law to its logical conclusion, is just as scary: being dead, the survivor no longer exists, and has no rights and isn't employable.

It's a coin toss: eitherway, lawfully, he's dead.
Welcome mister. Long tym.

But why? One would think I was engaging you strongly enough that you wouldn't be able to take time off. I can't pretend not to be hurt.

Back