Politics June 12: 9 Things M.K.O Abiola Said That Got Him Imprisoned, Killed

P

ProfRem

The adjudged winner of the June 12 1993 Presidential election, Chief Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola (M.K.O.) made about 9 strong statements before he was arrested and allegedly killed in detention.

M.K.O. Abiola was adjudged to have won the June 12, 1993 election which has been described as Nigeria’s “freest and fairest” election ever, but died on July 7, 1998, on the day he was to be released.

He was denied his mandate by the then military ruler, Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida who called for another election after annulling the one that produced Abiola.

However, another military dictator, Sani Abacha took over from Babaginda and declared himself military ruler.

Abacha then arrested Abiola for declaring himself “President and Commander-in-Chief of the Federal republic of Nigeria” and proclaimed “a new Government of National Unity.”

The military ruler then threw Abiola into prison for four years where he later died on the day he was to be released.

Here are some of the statements he made as culled from the speech he delivered on June 11, 1994, which was popularly referred to as the ‘Epetedo Proclamation".

1. People of Nigeria, exactly one year ago, you turned out in your millions to vote for me, Chief M.K.O. Abiola, as the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. But politicians in uniform, who call themselves soldiers but are more devious than any civilian would want to be, deprived you of your God-given right to be ruled by the President you had yourselves elected.

Abiola MKO.JPG

2. Soldiers inserted “annulment” - a concept hitherto unknown to our political lexicography - to an election perceived by all to have been the fairest, cleanest and most peaceful ever held in our nation.

3.Today, people of Nigeria, I join you all in saying, “Enough is Enough!” We have endured 24 years of military rule in our 34 years of independence.

4. Enough of military rule. We are sickened to see people who have shown little or no personal achievement, either in building up private businesses, or making success of any tangible thing, being placed in charge of the management of our nation’s economy, by rulers who are not accountable to anyone.

5. Our youths, in particular, can see no hope on the horizon, and many can only dream of escaping from our shores to join the brain drain. Is this the Nigeria we want? We are plagued also by periodic balance of payments crises, which have led to a perennial shortage of essential drugs, that has turned our hospitals and clinics into mortuaries.

6. I am sure that when you cast an eye on the moribund state of Nigeria today, you ask yourselves: “What have we done to deserve this, when we have a president- elect who can lead a government that can change things for the better? Our patience has come to an end.

7. As of now, from this moment, a new Government of National Unity is in power throughout the length and breadth of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, led by me, Bashorun M.K.O. Abiola, as President and Commander-in-Chief. The National Assembly is hereby reconvened. All dismissed governors are reinstated.

The State Assemblies are reconstituted, as are all local government councils. I urge them to adopt a bi-partisan approach to all the issues that come before them. At the national level, a bi-partisan approach will be our guiding principle. I call upon the usurper, General Sani Abacha, to announce his resignation forthwith, together with the rest of his illegal ruling council. We are prepared to enter into negotiations with them to work out the mechanics for a smooth transfer of power.

8. I pledge that if they hand over quietly, they will be retired with all their entitlements, and their positions will be accorded all the respect due to them. For our objective is neither recrimination nor witch-hunting, but an enforcement of the will of the Nigerian people, as expressed in free elections conducted by the duly constituted authority of the time.

9. I hereby invoke the mandate bestowed upon me by my victory in the said election, to call on all members of the Armed Forces and the Police, the Civil and Public Services throughout the Federal Republic of Nigeria, to obey only the Government of National Unity that is headed by me, your only elected President.

Back