Business Katsina Farmers Harvest Semi-Ripe Rice to Sell At Higher Price

P

ProfRem

Rice farmers have started smiling to the bank, as early harvest of the produce begins with some farmers harvesting semi-ripe rice in Katsina State, according to DailyTrust report.

Some of the farmers could not hide their joy over the high market price of the produce and their expectation for a bumper harvest this year.

A large-scale cereals farmer in Dandume LGA, Alhaji Ya’u Unguwar Maigaiya, said he had spent over 35 years farming rice but that he had not benefitted as immensely from it in the last 10 years as he did this year.

ricebuhari.JPG
file photo: Buhari Launches CBN Rice Farmers Loan Scheme

“Last year, I sold my rice at N5,600 per bag but this year, so far, I have sold about 100 bags at N11,000. We have abundant rainfall with no record of pest attack so far. That is why we are expecting a bumper harvest at the end of the season,” he told DailyTrust.

Meanwhile, DailyTrust observed that the high market value of rice this year has forced some farmers to harvest their semi-ripe rice to sell at high rate of N10,000 to N12,000 as against N4,000 to N6,000 last year.

Also with this year’s early harvest, the cost of a processed rice has reduced to between N26,000 and N28,000 from N32,000 in the last three weeks.

Source: DailyTrust Newspaper

Back