Sports Lionel Messi Dedicates His UEFA Award To His Teammates

The 2015 UEFA best player of the year, Lionel Messi has attributed his last season's success to his team mates, saying that they helped him rediscover his best form last season.
CNc6VWyVEAARm-e.jpg

The Argentine's brilliant form led the Catalans to a treble last season, and have made their titles in this calendar year to four with after beating Sevilla to win the UEFA Super Cup this month.

Messi beat teammate, Luis Suarez and Cristiano Ronaldo to clinch his second UEFA best player award after winning his inaugural prize in 2011.

The four time Ballon d'Or got 49 votes while Suarez got 3 and Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo got just 2 from polls of 54 journalists.

Messi, speaking after the UEFA Champions League group stage draw, said: "We're a unified squad who worked very hard to achieve the goals we did. I'm very happy and I would like to thank my team-mates – without them I wouldn't have received this."

The 28-year-old broke Telmo Zarra's record for Liga goals last term and ended the season with 58 in all competitions, a total swollen by a double in the Blaugrana's Copa del Rey final triumph over Athletic Club.

Barcelona's No10 was also the ten-goal joint-top scorer in the UEFA Champions League alongside club colleague Neymar and Ronaldo.

Other positions
4 Gianluigi Buffon (Italy – Juventus) 24 points
5 Neymar (Brazil – Barcelona) 23
6 Eden Hazard (Belgium – Chelsea) 21
7 Andrea Pirlo (Italy – Juventus) 12
8 Arturo Vidal (Chile – Juventus, now Bayern München) 11
9 Carlos Tévez (Argentina – Juventus, now Boca Juniors) 8
10 Paul Pogba (France – Juventus)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back