London 2012 Olympics gulped £9 Billion

C

Chris Maduewesi

A survey by BBC Sport reveals that a staggering £8.77bn was spent in organising and hosting the London 2012 Olympic Games.
According to a ComRes poll done for the BBC, a huge percentage of the locals were satisfied with the amount of money sunk in for the games,and 74% would welcome back the Olympics on British soil.
But also, it is estimated that the UK economy got a £9.9bn increase in trade and investment,as a result of hosting the Olympics.
Yesterday was the Anniversary Games at the Olympic Stadium,held to commemorate one year that the Olympic games was held.
Lord Sebastian Coe, who chaired the London Olympic Organising Committee told BBC Breakfast: “The overall response to your survey has been incredibly positive,” he said.
“It doesn’t surprise me given the boost to the economy we revealed the other day.”
“Again your survey shows a positive outcome of regional spread of interest. It was one of the ambitions we set out very clearly. We did not just want to talk about the three weeks in London.”
But when asked about the legacy of hosting the Olympics,Sports Minister Hugh Robertson said: “We’ve made an incredibly good start, but I would be the first to admit there is an awful lot left to do.
“I don’t think we’ll be able to make a judgment until three years after the Olympics, maybe five, and probably, if we are being really honest, until a decade has passed.”
It was an Olympics to forget for Nigeria though,as they failed to win a single medal,despite a huge chunk of money,the contingent spent in just preparations.

Continue reading...

Back