Sports Lukaku Speaks: Why I Ignored Chelsea for Manchester United

L

LequteMan

New Manchester United signing Romelu Lukaku has stated the major reasons he signed for the most successful football club in England.

The Belgium international has completed his medical and will be revealed on Monday since the Red Devils and Everton have agreed to a £75 million deal on Friday.

In an exclusive interview with ESPN FC, Lukaku said he is delighted to be joining “the biggest club in the world” in Manchester United.

“This is an opportunity that I’ve always wanted since I was a child,” Lukaku said.

“When [Manchester United] came calling, I didn’t have to think twice. So, I’m really delighted to hopefully be part of their history.”

Chelsea were interested in Lukaku as well, and Antonio Conte's side even tabled a late offer to try and convince him to move back to Stamford Bridge. However, he had already made his mind up.

“My mind was already set. I gave my word, and I don’t look back,” Lukaku said. “I didn’t look back since, and I was already mentally preparing to be part of the team.”

When asked what he would tell critics who queried why he chose Manchester United — who came sixth in the Premier League last season — over the champions, Lukaku responded: “I would say, ‘Who would say no to the biggest club in the world?’

“Best stadium in England. The best fans. This is the perfect opportunity. I always said I wanted to play for a team that’s challenging for every trophy that there is.

“I think Manchester United at the minute wants to be the dominant team, that dominant force. If you look at their history, it says enough. To become part of a club like them is something that I really wanted. I’m thankful for the opportunity that they gave me.

“Now it’s time to work hard, work harder than I ever did before. I’m willing to do it. Hopefully, it will come a good way.”

Lukaku scored 71 goals in 133 games for Everton since signing permanently in 2014. Only Aguero has scored more goals than him for the last 5 years in the Premier League.

Attachments

• Lukaku-Belgium-Mar2017-620x400.jpg
    Lukaku-Belgium-Mar2017-620x400.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 13
Back