Sports Man Utd 1 - 2 Man City: Jose Mourinho and Guardiola's Post Match Comments

L

LequteMan

Manchester United on Sunday lost their first home game in the league courtesy of two mistakes from Romelu Luakaku.

Read more: Man Utd 1 - 2 Man City: Lukaku Hands 3 Points to Pep Guardiola

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho speaking to BBC Sport after the game said: "My first reaction is I feel sorry for referee Michael Oliver because he had a very good match but unfortunately he made an important mistake.

"The result was made with a big penalty not given [on Ander Herrera]. That would have been 2-2 with 20 minutes to go

"Michael was unlucky because it was a clear penalty."

Asked whether the title race is over, Mourinho adds: "Probably, yes.

"Manchester City are a very good team and they are protected by the luck, and the gods of football are behind them."

Addressing MOTD, he said: "Like last season, we had a penalty with City - Bravo on Rooney. This season is the same. But Michael was unlucky as it was a clear penalty.

"Two bad goals. Not what you expect to concede. City have good qualities. They have a huge percentage of ball but their creation we kept control of.

"We did enough to win the game? It depends on your perspective. They had more of the ball and apparently more control because they kept the ball more than us. But I think the players fought enough. Without any analysing the match is made of incidents and the penalty was a big incident."

"The referee is a human being and he tried his best. He was very committed to have a good match which I think he had but made one mistake which was a crucial mistake.

"They scored two goals which were quite unbelievable to concede. They scored two goals out of nothing with rebounds....two easy goals. We did good things, we did bad things.

"I think they are a very good team, they are lucky, they have decisions in their favour."

On the title race: "I'm pretty sure everyone is going to fight for points and try and reduce the distance, but the advantage is a very good one."

His counterpart, Pep Guardiola, speaking to Sky Sports said: "The personality to play here is what I want. We can play this way in England. People said we couldn’t play the way we did in Barcelona in England but it is possible and we did it.

"I knew that last season. Always I believed we could do it. Everyone can play how they want, that’s why football is so beautiful. I’m happy to go to Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford and to beat them in this way.

"Football is incredible. We spoke about how to play United but never set-pieces offensively, and then we score two. Football is unpredictable.

"This win means a lot in the way we played for our confidence but in three days we go to Swansea in the winter time. We are going to face a lot of difficulties. In December it’s impossible to be champions but it’s good for us."

On Jose Mourinho saying his side should have had a penalty:"Last season it was the same – we won here and it was the referee. Today as well. Yesterday he spoke about the referee. We are an honest team. We had 75% ball possession, which means we wanted to play. We came here and did that."

On Mourinho's comments that Man City players go down easily:"It’s not true that my players go down easily. That is not an argument I believe."

And on Vincent Kompany going off injured: "Vinnie is always like this – unfortunately we can’t count on him for a long time."

Attachments

• jose-mourinho-pep-guardiola.jpg
    jose-mourinho-pep-guardiola.jpg
    659.6 KB · Views: 23
Back