Metro NDLEA Saves Nigerian From Being Executed in China for Drug Trafficking

L

LequteMan

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA) Lagos have saved 38- year-old Augustine Uchenna from being execution in China on drug related offences.

According to a statement signed by the Head Public Affairs of NDLEA, Mitchell Ofoyeju, NDLEA said the suspect who sells safety equipment at Lagos Island was caught attempting to smuggle 10.275kg of cannabis to China where drug trafficking attracts death penalty.

“The drug was detected during the outward screening of passengers on an Ethiopian Airline flight to China”, the statement said.

"It was a normal search operation during the screening of passengers on an Ethiopian Airline flight to China when 10.275kgs of cannabis was detected inside foodstuff. The owner of the bag was immediately arrested and case is under investigation”.

During interrogation, the suspect said that he was not aware that drug trafficking is punishable by death in China.

“My friend in China promised to pay me six hundred thousand naira to take 10.275kgs of cannabis to China. This is my first time of smuggling drugs and I never knew that drug trafficking is punishable by death in China. I import safety equipment and I have been going to China to buy my goods since 2011. The economic recession affected my business that I find it hard to pay for my rent. This was what led me into drug trafficking” Uchenna was quoted to have said.

Attachments

• NDLEA-1.jpg
    NDLEA-1.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 21
Back