Politics Nigeria: Ex Senate Leader 'Mantu' Regrets Failure of Obasanjo's 3rd Term Bid

L

LequteMan

Nigeria's former Senate Deputy President, Ibrahim Mantu, has expressed regrets that ex President Olusegun Obasanjo's bid to become president for the 3rd time failed.

The PDP BoT member said Mr. Obasanjo should be applauded for subjecting himself to a constitutional process when he wanted a third term, unlike other African leaders who forcefully stayed in office beyond their tenure.

“If Obasanjo had wanted to cause confusion, he was still the incumbent President, he could have caused a lot of problem,” Mr. Mantu said.

“He could have even asked the military to stage a coup against him. Then, United Nations would come and say we should negotiate and that Obasanjo should be there for two years and all sort of things.”

Mr. Mantu said if he had the same opportunity today, he would lay down his life to get a third term for Obasanjo.

“The truth is if I had known Nigeria would find herself where we are today, I would have even taken the last drop of my blood to ensure it happened because it would have been in the greatest interest of the nation.

“We never envisaged we would be here. Since Obasanjo left, the way this country has been run up to this moment, I weep for Nigeria.”

Premium Times

Attachments

• obasanjo3.jpg
    obasanjo3.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 18
Back