Politics Nigeria: Northern Govs are Using Boko Haram to Their Advantage, and It's Bad - Gov Shettima

L

LequteMan

Borno state's Governor Kashim Shettima has called out northern governors who are using the Boko Haram insurgency to score pity points from national and international aid organizations.

On Friday, the governor alleged that some of his colleagues were making false claims about the situation of IDPs in their states and the havoc caused by Boko Haram.

"When it comes to goodies, you will be seeing states that suffer the least, exaggerating the sufferings inflicted on their society by Boko Haram as if such a thing is a badge of honor."

They're doing this so as to get more donations and aid from philanthropists and international agencies than necessary, he said.

"To me, I am not proud to say Borno state is the nerve center of Boko Haram. But states where, one, two or three local government are occupied by Boko Haram will exaggerate it and say up to ten of their local government areas had been occupied by Boko Haram; or you hear them saying 15 local government areas were conquered by Boko Haram in Adamawa state, or in Yobe state or in Taraba state

"People are even exaggerating the numbers of IDPs they have. And mind you, if you go to Adamawa, the IDPs are from Borno state; just like if you go to Cameroon, the Nigerian refugees there, 95 percent of the IDPs are from Borno state; so also in Niger Republic. But it is not for me to say they should be denied any support.

Gov Shettima made this allegation when he hosted a delegation of the United Nations Fund for Population Activities (UNFPA) at the state government house in Maiduguri.

Attachments

• 1a3 (4).png
    1a3 (4).png
    151.8 KB · Views: 13
Back