Metro Nigerians in US React to Donald Trump's Election Victory

L

LequteMan

The majority of Nigerians living in the United States have put up a strong facade to the election victory of Republican candidate, Donald Trump, who vowed to tightened US immigration laws.

The majority of them had supported, and tipped Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton to win the election.

Dr. SKC Ogbonnia, Secretary General of the Nigerian Diaspora Union, NDU, said things aren't as bad as perceived.

“For the Nigerian community, we cannot say it is a total loss. We are a very dynamic community in the United States of America and no matter what happens we will find a way to embrace the change. It is expected that in the Trump presidency, the Supreme Court would be composed of conservative judges who could in a way repeal the Homosexual Marriage Act which conforms to our culture than what you have under Obama and what could have continued under a Clinton presidency had it come to be.

“Secondly, the issue of trade can go either way. A number of Nigerians in America could benefit in Donald Trump’s regime, but at the same time I am worried that his protectionist policy may affect Nigeria.”

Another diasporian, Mr. Tayo Kubi who coordinated the move to bring Nigerian-Americans to vote in the Washington, Delaware and Baltimore areas on the East Coast said democracy won the election.

“The majority has spoken and this is America, the land of freedom and even the opposition candidate has conceded for peace to reign.

Mr. Dom Njoku, simply said “I told you earlier that Trump will win and I will pop champagne. Like I said before the election, virtually everybody is guilty of whatever they said Trump did. And very, unfortunately, the Black community has not gained anything significant under the Obama Presidency. So what do you expect? However, the people have spoken, and we have to move on”.

Mr. Yomi Balogun: “Though the election has been won and lost but I am afraid majority of African Americans might suffer the this loss putting in mind some of the things Mr. Trump stood for in this election. Though I believe some of the blacks staying in this country without valid documents will be most affected.”

Attachments

• donald-trump-pointing.jpg
    donald-trump-pointing.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 12
Back