Sports NTF President Reveals Angel McCleod Will Be Sponsored To Play African Championship

Nigerian Tennis Federation President, Sani Ndanusa, has commended the Lagos state government for their continuous support for the annual Governor's Cup Lagos Tennis championship.

Angel Mcleod.jpg
The 15th edition of the championship will serve off on December 5 at the Lagos Lawn Tennis club, Onikan, Lagos, with contestants ready to battle for $80,000.

The former Minister of Youths, Sports and Social Development under late president Musa Yar'Adua's administration also expressed disappointment that Nigeria hasn't been able to produce a top-notch player for tennis grand slams in the world, thereby urging Nigerian players to up their games, adding that any home-based player who can get to the quarter finals of this championship will be sponsored on a training program in the African circuit.

Ndanusa also assured Nigerian teenage tennis sensation, Angel Macleod, that plans have been concluded to sponsor her through a developmental program in Morocco, to help he develop her game and make Nigeria proud in the nearest future.

14 years old junior tennis player, who has won virtually all trophies up for grabs in her category recently lost her mother, who was shot by a Nigerian police officer, while the case is still in a Nigerian court.

"I must first thank the three governors, Asiwaju Boola Tinubu as the foundation layer to this 15 year journey, and also Mr Fashola on the 2nd layer and today, we have the current governor on the 3rd layer. We want to thank them sincerely for the foundation they've built, this is one of the biggest tournament within the west and central Africa and that we rally round all of the players within this region and worldwide. It is very key to us in Nigeria because it brings in players from about 25 countries every year and that's about a very big diplomatic mileage for Nigeria, and also, it exposes our home grown players to the standard that the game is moving."

"But of course, the sad thing is that Nigeria hasn't made it to the grand slam up till today, by making it to the grand slam is holistic and all stake holders have to come to play, looking at the players themselves, they have to show a lot of effort and commitment, the parents, coaches, administrators and sponsors."

"We need individual sponsorship, I've already spoken the president of the Lagos Lawn Tennis Club and the vice chairman of the local organisisng committee, we are trying to look at any Nigerian player who can make it to the highest point, at least the quarter finals and then we key into this, prepare him for next year, how do u prepare him, by taking him through the African circuit, take him through the European circuit, but you know what that means, we need sponsors, but I can assure you that we are already talking and we are sure we will get sponsors."

"So, any of our Nigerian player who can make it to the semi finals should be sure of a training tour in preparations for the next governor's cup."

"Ofcourse, our FRF 2,3 and 4 are one of the biggest rated tournament within the west and central Africa, first because of its consistency, and from the beginning of the year, the players put in their budget of where they want to go to, so we will never fail them in governor's cup, and also the standard of the organisation and the standard of the technical quality of the game and we met all the requirement of the ITF and ATP, that is what put us among the best in Africa."

"I will tell you that we have a breakthrough, and the breakthrough is the tennis league we've started, but since this is a different tournament, I don't want to bore you with such information now, but I can assure you that the league will prepare our players for the greater heights."

"We are still on the sponsorship package I must confess, most especially with the sponsors and tennis enthusiasts, to see those that know her talent, and then we can do fund raising where we ll have a specific fund to be run by a trustee that will look at her tennis growth and that we have already concluded, waiting to be launched at the finals of the governor's cup."

"It's a continuous thins, at least when she finishes from Morocco, which will be for about one- two years, after that the committee will maintain her tournaments, because she has to start going to the circuits, but Morocco of course, we will get funds to support her and be there." he concluded

Attachments

• Ndanusa Sani.jpg
    Ndanusa Sani.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 4
Back