NYSC DIARY: Parade Wahala

A

abujagirl

Dear NYSC Diary,
Wednesday was a brutal day. My day started at 2:35am. My room comes alive quite early. Everyone is always eager to begin their day doesn't matter if they stayed up talking till midnight.

nysc12.jpg

By 4:00am the beagle goes off. All Corps members ran out to the parade ground, which is just in front of the hostel. Did I mention that males and females stay in the same hostel across each other.
Morning drills start by 4:20am, I dislike physical activity. I always stay away from tasks that require physical strength and stamina but because it was a compulsory exercise I had no option than to participate.

I occasionally paused and sat on the bare floor whenever the soldiers were not watching. The only part of the drills I enjoyed was the part when we got to sing and jog round the parade ground. It brings back memories of my Saleh days.

After the drills, comes breakfast and then parade begins. Parade is hell, I hate it. Drills now feel like child's play when compared to parade. We practiced ‘remove your head dress and left-right’ so many times that most people are frustrated . I was so scared of fainting, almost even cried on Parade ground and hurt my ankle.

Hurt ankle or not, some soldiers expect you to obey before complaining. Somehow I made it through over 3 hours of parade alive- will definitely add agility as a new skill on my curriculum vitae.
Physiotherapists are my favourite new people. A beautiful female physiotherapist showed my ankle the deserved care. I cried all through the process and queried why parade was even necessary. Lol

The afternoon was better, no parade. All CMs are made to sit on the floor while Lagos NYSC officials were introduced. It was really a fun process. They welcomed us with ‘we’ and we reply with ‘wa’. We reply in style depending on how swaggy the greeting takes.

NYSC Lagos state coordinator is introduced last. His Cv is read, almost feels as if he’s been hyped ahead of a political appointment. Once he opens his mouth and begins to speak, I instantly change my mind about him. He's an intelligent man, eloquent speaker and passionate about the NYSC.

“If you can't flush it, don't drop it”, “The khaki is a leveller” and so many other lines he dropped will forever stay with me.

The NYSC coordinator is also a ‘wash-man’. He has political answers for every question but I think he's a good man. Time will tell.

Ignorance has a face- it wears the face of ignorant university graduates (expect the gist this weekend ) .

It's a new day and I have so much to do. Ciao!

Last edited:
Back