Sports Oboabona would not have passed trials with Arsenal – Christain Chukwu

• Thread starter Chris Maduewesi
  • Start date
C

Chris Maduewesi

With the controversy still raging over the refusal of Godfrey Oboabona,to go for a trials with Arsenal Football Club,former Super Eagles coach,Christain Chukwu,has supported his decision of rejecting the offer,adding that he would have failed the trials,if he had gone for it.
The Sunshine Stars of Akure defender,was reportedly invited for trials by Arsenal,which he turned down claiming that he has passed that level,especially with his feats with the national team,in 2013.
“Arsenal’s management told me to come for a trial when I won the Africa Cup of Nations,” Oboabona was quoted as saying by The Sun UK.
“I think I should be above such requests. It is high time some of these clubs started respecting Nigeria.”
Supporting Oboabona’s stance,Chukwu who himself played at the heart of Nigeria’s defence in the 80′s said :“Oboabona is a good defender and I’m surprised that Arsenal invited him for a trial before joining them,” Chukwu told The Punch.
“I don’t think he needs any trial to sign for a big club because everybody knows he’s a quality defender.”
“He made the right decision (to reject Arsenal’s offer) because he wouldn’t have succeeded in the trial,” the former Rangers man added.
“The majority of the top European clubs focus their attention on signing midfielders and strikers outside Europe because they are the players who win matches.”
“They have good defenders and only sign outsiders if they are exceptional.”
Chukwu however urged Oboabona not to be in a haste to leave the Nigerian league for “just any club.”
“He’s a good player and I believe one of the big European clubs will sign him but he must continue his development in the domestic league before moving abroad,” Chukwu said.
Just this week,ex-internationals Victor Ikpeba and Mutiu Adepoju disagreed,whether Oboabona should have gone for trials with Arsenal or not.
While Ikpeba felt that Oboabona is not above trials, Adepoju thought otherwise,adding that it was an insult,considering his exploits with the Super Eagles this year.

Continue reading...

Back