Oluwaseyi Asher: An Informally-trained Visual Artist With Imaginative Sense of the Universe

P

PressRoom

Oluwaseyi Alade Asher honed her artistry skills through persistence , online tutorials and sheer talent. The Lagos-based visual artist feels happy and fulfilled making beautiful expressions that appeal to people's emotions and spirituality. In this interview, Oluwaseyi reveals her scariest moment, and how Artists can solve Nigeria's problems on Nigerian Bulletin Spotlight.

oluwaseyi asher.jpg

Who are you and what do you do?

I’m Oluwaseyi Alade Asher, a Lagos-based visual artist, writer and poet. Painting, drawing, digital illustration, tie-dye, silk painting, calligraphy, engraving, paper-Mache sculpting, mixed media mosaic blocks are my forte. I wrote, designed and illustrated the humourous educational book, Happy Adventures of Adiyeh the Lagos chicken.

What does art mean to you? What role does the artist have in society?

Art is enlightening, aesthetic and calming to the soul. The artist makes the world more beautiful, enjoyable and prods others to be thoughtful about the greater purpose of living.

Why do you do what you do?

Even in my sub-conciousness, I constantly tap from my environment designs and charming ideas for my art projects. I am an artist because I am very happy and fulfilled making beautiful expressions in various forms that are appealing visually, emotionally and spiritually.

How do you work?

Basically I work on and off schedule. I stick to timetables for my tie-dye processes, beadwork on wood, glass engraving, priming wood and canvas etc. Off schedule events come into play when I have to quickly sketch or jot down an inspiration while on holiday or even walking my dog.

What’s your background?

I am informally trained, honing my skills via observation, persistence, art workshops, reading art literature, online tutorials and sheer talent.

What’s integral to the work of an artist?

Resilience, persistence in the face of discouragers, quick ability to learn better techniques, humility, courtesy and true confidence in your skills are all integral facets of being a gem of an artist.

How has your practice changed over time?

I started out with traditional forms of art using pencils, pens, paints, pastels and brushes moved unto the use of digital software and tablet to paint, colour and draw especially for book commissions.

What art do you most identify with?

Mostly, I identify with the art form called Pointillism. Be it on linen or paper. Stunningly detailed work in many tiny dots of paint or ink. You can view my work updates on my Facebook page @oluwaseyialadeart, Instagram handle is @hobbyhubart.

What themes do you pursue?

Literature, machines, Science, African folklore, mythical and Christian themed stories, including horses, baby animals, nature, domestic living and women are reoccurring themes in my artworks.

What’s your scariest experience?

When one of my paintings was nearly lost in transit from an exhibition venue back to my studio by lackadaisical organizers.

Do you have a favourite art work? Which one is it?

I love two of my pointillism works. The first, an oil on canvas painting of the biblical story of Jesus and the Samaritan woman it shimmers with the power of the encounter. The other is my self-portrait, an Ink on Bristol board work. It reverberates with such a beautiful peaceful aura.

Favourite self portrait Oluwaseyi Alade Asher Self   portrait ink pointillism.jpg
Self portrait of Oluwaseyi Asher

Sir give me this water Oil on canvas pointillism painting Samaritan   Woman.jpg

Describe a real-life situation that inspired you?

I once sold an unfinished (by my standards) oil on canvas painting at a very good price while I worked on it plein-air at the Arabian souk, Dubai. The buyer liked it just so. I had intended to add more colourful details to the painting later that day, after initially putting in the salient brush strokes of a first layer in only Sienna brown. It reminds me to love my work and let it express my inner feelings, this will connect me to the buyer. Be original in your art style.

What’s your most embarrassing moment? None

A look at the Nigerian society – where do artists come in and remedy the problems?

From messages on billboards, art in science illustrations, sculptures in public places, fountains than exude calm, designs on apparel, sculpting to re-enact crime scenes, introduce ergonomic equipment, engaging the jobless in craftwork, inspiring the downcast via eloquent paintings, redesigning office spaces, schools and campuses, artists can improve comprehension, brighten daily drudgery, inspire the unsettled, motivate the discouraged, pitch against vices, pinch us to help the oppressed….the list is endless.

--
More photos below:
in my studio. Oluwaseyi Alade Asher. beads on   woodwork..jpg
Oluwaseyi in her studio

Boss -Coloured pencil drawing Oluwaseyi Alade Asher.jpg
Coloured pencil drawing

Chicken and Yoghurt. pastel on paper. Oluwaseyi Alade    Asher. (1).jpg
Chicken and Yoghurt -- pastel on paper.

Sir give me this water Oil on canvas pointillism painting Samaritan   Woman.jpg
'Sir, give me water...' (a biblical illustration of a samaritan woman); Oil on canvas pontillism painting

Iya ojo and her Model T-Ford oil on canvas painting. 23   x 19 inches. Oluwaseyi Alade Asher.jpg
Iya Ojo & her Model-T Ford; Oil on canvas painting.

Attachments

• weaving Lar's hair. pointillism. oil on canvas. 38 x 18    inches.Oluwaseyi Alade Asher.jpg
    weaving Lar's hair. pointillism. oil on canvas. 38 x 18 inches.Oluwaseyi Alade Asher.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 18
Back