Sports Read Joseph Yobo's advise to the national U-23 team

Former Super Eagles captain Joseph Yobo has visited the camp of the national under 23 team and charged them to emulate the class of the 1996 squad .

Nigeria won the gold medal in the football event of the 1996 Olympic Games, stunning the world with impressive displays .

And Yobo who is the first Nigerian player to ever attain 100 caps for the country charged the current team led by Samson Siasia to follow in the paths of that team.

Players like Kanu Nwankwo, Wilson Oruma,Austin Jay Jay Okocha, Joseph Dosu all made committed efforts in help Nigeria become the first African team to win the competition.

"I was like one of you guys. It was nice coming to watch you play, though this is a training session, Yobo told the players after their training session.

"The coach is like a brother, a good friend. When he saw me and asked me to come, I just can’t say no. I started just like you, if not worse,”

"I just want to encourage you. I’m happy with what I’m seeing; there is still room for improvement in your career, just believe in yourself, believe in your coach, and believe in your teammate.

"It’s not a do or die affair, it has to be team work. Even if I knew there was competitions amongst you, you have to keep it friendly, but most importantly you have to believe in God.

"You have great talent; I have seen most of you now. I believe in this team especially in your coach; you guys are privileged.

nigerian_football_Yobo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back