Saintfiet taking Keshi to FIFA over racists comments

Malawi coach,Tom Saintfiet has revealed that he is taking Super Eagles coach,Stephen Keshi to world football governing body,FIFA for using a racial word against him.
Saintfiet was irked by the comments of Keshi,for calling him “a white dude who should go back to Belgium.”
Both countries have been embroiled with an exchange of words,ahead of their clash in the 2014 World Cup qualifiers in Calabar.
Malawi protested about the choice of Calabar,adding that the city is insecure for such a high-profile game.
The Nigeria Football Federation(NFF) had to provide a written guarantee,with the backing of the Nigerian Police,before FIFA approved Calabar for the game.
“It is unacceptable that any person says these words – it is clear racism,” Saintfiet told BBC Sport.
“It is 100% sure that my lawyers will lodge a complaint with FIFA.”
“These words create hate and aggression, and creates a risk ahead of the match in Calabar,” Saintfiet added. “These comments are unacceptable and I am very sad about them.”
“I will not say any bad words about Mr Keshi, nor Nigeria – I only spoke about moving the game.”
“If FIFA takes racism seriously, then you have to take it seriously in both directions. If a European said something of this nature about an African, you would have a huge problem.”
“I am against racism in all directions.”
Keshi was agitated when Saintfiet last week,championed the call for the World Cup qualifier to be taken out of Calabar and exploded in anger,that the Belgian coach cannot dictate where Nigeria should play it’s games.
“This is where we play our games and other countries are fine with that,” Keshi told Vox Africa’s Sports360
“I think the coach of Malawi is crazy,” Keshi added.
“If he wants to talk to Fifa, he should go back to Belgium. He is not an African person, he is a white dude, he should go back to Belgium,” Keshi said.
“I have never used any words like these to any coach. He has no right, who is he?
“All other countries play in Calabar. Calabar is one of the safest places in Nigeria… He is mad. I wish I could say it to his face.”
Did Keshi go too far?

Continue reading...

Back