Politics Say “No” to ethnic politics: President Jonathan cautions politicians

A

abujagirl

images

President Goodluck Jonathan has urged Politicians to stop playing ethnic politics and to stop making provocative statements capable of dividing the Nigeria.

The President made this call while speaking at the reception held in honour of Chairman, Board of Trustees, BOT, of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Chief Tony Anenih, who marked his 80th birthday, at the International Conference Centre, Abuja.

He further noted that Nigeria needed politicians like Anenih, saying: "We can learn from him because he has always been a nationalist.

"From him, let's learn to sing the song of unity and use our cleavages for good and not to promote disunity.

"Some provocative statements have come from elder statesmen who witnessed civil war. However, Tony Anenih has never made such statements. This explains why the hall is filled to capacity today."

Meanwhile, Chief Tony Anenih, broke down yesterday and wept while acknowledging the presence of Hajia Binta Yar’Adua, wife of late General Shehu Yar’Adua.

Chief Anenih also sued for peace, “If you look round, you will know that Nigeria is here. We must forget the past and move forward. I was thrilled when I saw former President Olusegun Obasanjo in the Church today. For him to be here is to me forgiveness.

“I want to appeal to IBB, Abdusalami, Danjuma, Obasanjo that Nigeria needs peace. If they can give us peace and Jonathan is genuinely advised, he will move forward; if these men come together and advise Jonathan, Boko Haram will die.

“Nigeria is turn-by-turn. We should wait for our time. Jonathan is there now, it will get to another person; we should talk less.

“Let us put our hands behind the President. Time flies. Today he is the one, tomorrow it will be your turn”.

Back