Sports Suarez bite is "not fair" - Sepp Blatter

T

Titilope Adeuja

rsz_sepp_blatter.jpg
FIFA president Sepp Blatter has described the biting of Italy's defender, Giorgo Chiellini, by Uruguay forward, Luis Suarez, as "not fair".

Blatter, who said the player's actions were not in line with the fair play rules of the game, however, refused to give his comment about the ruling.

Suarez has been handed a nine international-match ban and restriction from all footballing activities for four months for the incident while on country duty.

"I am fighting for fair play on the field of play and fair play off the field of play, but especially on the field of play and this is not fair what he has done. It's definitely not fair.

"Now to discuss the decision that has been taken by a panel of seven judges. It's not up to me to make a comment on that.

"Obviously they have taken into consideration the other incidents of this player who has already been banned in football or suspended in football for the same activity.

"I cannot say whether it is too much or too less. This is an independent decision in FIFA."

Speaking on other matters on the on-going FIFA World Cup in Brazil, Blatter commended the quality of the games as teams are eager to win all matches which has provided a haul of 136 goals at 2.83 per game the group stage alone.

"I'm not the only one who is impressed by that (the quality of games).

"What has changed from the former World Cups is that in the first matches in the first round, everybody wanted to win, not to not lose.

"The football was exceptional right up to the last matches, the third matches.

"In the third matches there are tactics to maintain a result but still it was very exciting and results only decided in the last minutes of matches."

Back