Sports Super Falcons not relying on foreign players - Edwin Okon

Super Falcons’ head coach, Edwin Okon has revealed that the availability of foreign based players will only boost his side's preparations for the All Africa Games and Olympics qualifiers, but insisted that he's not relying solely on them.

Edwin Okon led the Super Falcons of Nigeria to the 7th African Women Championship victory in 2014, with Asisat Oshoala winning the Most Valuable Player award of the tournament.

Okon said that he has invited ten foreign-based players to camp but Okon expressed optimistism towards the home-based players who are already in camp can equally execute the matches convincingly.

“I don’t think that is a problem for me and my coaches. You can see the work in progress. We are not waiting for, or relying on foreign-based players, we just have to prepare our team and pick those players who can beat Mali and beat them very well.”

“If those based abroad come to join us, then it is a boost for us but we are not leaving anything to chance. We have to prepare and plan with those here to execute the task ahead” Okon stated.

The Super Falcons resumed camp about a week ago with rigorous training sessions centred on fitness and conditioning with and without the ball.

Training resumed today after the team observed rest on Sunday and are due to face Mali in the first leg of the qualifier between March 20-22. TheNff

Attachments

• Oparanozie.JPG
    Oparanozie.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
Back