Sports Uganda coach backs the Super Eagles to return to African Football summit soon- Uganda coach

Uganda-Micho-Sredojevic-coat-300.jpg

After beating the Super Eagles of Nigeria, the Cranes of Uganda coach, Milutin “Micho” Sredojevic has backed the nation's national team will return to its place at the top table of African football.

The Super Eagles, who won the 2013 Afcon title crashed out of the 2014 world cup int he round of 16 in Brazil but have suffered setbacks ever since.

Meanwhile, the rebuilding process of the team may not be yielding any result as the Super Eagles failed again as they were beaten 0-1 by Uganda in in Uyo, but head coach of the Cranes, Micho believes the three-time African champions are about to turn the corner.

“I just want to tell you that after drawing against Guinea and failing to qualify for the Afcon in 2012, Nigeria’s next match was against Rwanda and it ended 0-0.

“Now the same thing is happening. After drawing 2-2 against South Africa and failing to qualify for the 2015 Afcon, I can see a repetition of what happened the last time.

“I believe that luck will be on Nigeria’s side when the time comes,” Micho told supersport.

On Wednesday’s shock win over the Super Eagles, Micho gave credit to his players but revealed he had to overcome pre-match challenges before recording the remarkable victory.

“We limited Nigeria to just two chances throughout the 90 minutes.

“We didn’t want to just sit back and defend. We wanted to come out and play attacking football because when you are coming to Nigeria-such a great footballing country-and you sit back to defend, you are calling the devil to come to your house.

“We used our chances and scored the only goal but it does not mean anything.

“I am convinced that both teams have a great future.

“I must give credit to my players. In-spite of all the problems (we still did well). Most of the invited players refused to turn up but the 16 players who showed up showed that they are Lions.

“To come here and fight against the Super Eagles and get a good result is impressive,” he said.
supersport

Pics by supersport

Back