Sports Van Gaal admits his formations affected Manchester United

Manchester United manager Louis Van Gaal has admitted that his numerous changes to their playing formation affected his team.

United are currently seventh in the English Premier League table, and Van Gaal has used over 30 players this season in the course of finding the right balance for his team, although injuries have not helped them.

"It's too much, I agree," said Van Gaal when asked about the changes.

"But I'm looking for the balance and, when you see the last four matches, we have had more balance because we haven't conceded many goals.

"Nevertheless, we don't score so much. With the other system we scored a lot of goals."

However, United are not afar off in the race to qualify for the Champions League next season, being only two points off fourth-placed West Ham United.

Van Gaal now seems prepared to admit that results rather than performances are now the priority.

"We have to ensure we are in a position where we can be in contention for the first four positions," said Van Gaal. "Of course, we need to raise our level. It's a matter of time, but also of getting over a lot of injuries.

"When you have nine injuries and also a suspended player, then it is always more difficult, because I cannot select a lot of players.

"I've never had so many injuries in my career. It's crazy, but it's what I have to deal with.

"It's a big challenge but I knew that in advance. Otherwise I could have chosen another club."

Van Gaal.jpg

Back