Sports Xavi Concludes Plans to Leave Barcelona

L

LequteMan

After a 17 year glittering career at Barcelona, Midfielder Xavi will leave the Catalan club to join Qatari side Al Sadd in a three-year deal, The BBC reports.

The Spain midfielder, 35, has won eight league titles and three Champions League trophies with the club.

He can add two more trophies at the newly crowned La Liga champions, with Barcelona in the Copa del Rey and Champions League finals.

xavi_getty_body.jpg

The Spanish player has represented his country 133 times - a record for an outfield player - and was an integral figure in helping Spain win the 2010 World Cup and the 2008 and 2012 European Championships.

"I think the Qatar project is nice, and it's ideal for me. In the future I'd like to come back to Barca," Xavi says.

"I had a very good offer to renew with Barca, but I didn't even tell my mother. I want to keep playing. I know I can still perform, although it'll be in a lower-level league.

"Barca will continue to be great without me. I'm convinced."

According to his agent, Ivan Corretja, Xavi would also become an ambassador for the 2022 World Cup to be held in the Gulf state, and look to start his coaching qualifications.

#Xavi #Barca

Back