Politics Yakassai Accuses Jibrin of Blackmail

A

abujagirl

Tanko Yakassai has described the former Chairman of the House Committee on Appropriation, Hon Abdulmumin Jibrin as a blackmailer who is trying to hard to tarnish the image of his colleagues.

yakassi.jpg

See excerpt from Yakassai's interview session with SUN NEWS :

How do you appraise the allegation of budget padding by members of the House of Representatives?

In my opinion, I’m blaming the media more on the issue because the norm in this society and also in the society of our former colonial masters is that the onus of proof is on the person who made the allegation. You can’t just accuse a person. You are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Somebody was with his colleagues all these days, serving at least more than a year, all was quiet, and all of a sudden something happened, he was said to have resigned from his position, and the next we heard was allegations.

If the allegations were correct, the natural thing he was supposed to do was to go to the EFCC or ICPC to lodge a complaint, and it is up for the accused persons to go and defend themselves.

But because we are so turned upside down, the moment somebody made allegation you automatically believe it’s correct, which is wrong. Allegation is allegation until it is proven to be correct.

My opinion is that, the man who is alleging should go to proper authority and complain, then the authority should investigate. In this case, either the police, EFCC or the ICPC, the people who are accused will have the opportunity to state their own side of the story.

What is worrying me in this society is that anytime somebody made an allegation, the accused person is automatically regarded as guilty. It is very terrible in this society. It destroys the fabric of the society, I can go and make any wild allegation against anybody, against the president, against the Chief Justice etc and automatically they would be presumed guilty without any investigation, which is wrong.

Click here to read full interview

SOURCE: SUN NEWS

Back