Sports Andy Murray says Davis Cup semis against US is the biggest home game of his career

Murray.jpg
Britain’s Andy Murray has described the Great Britain face-off with the United States in the Davis Cup as one of the best games he will ever have to play at home.

The tie, which gets underway in Glasgow on Friday, is Murray’s first in the last four years, and Britain's first home contest in the elite World Group since 2002.

"It's the biggest home tie that I've played," the world number five said.

"Because tickets sold out quickly, it shows that there's a passion here for the sport."

Britain beat United States in San Diego at the same stage of last year's Davis Cup, and another victory in the best-of-five format would set up a home quarter-final against France or Germany in July.

GB captain Leon Smith has selected Murray, James Ward, Jamie Murray and Dom Inglot, while Jim Courier will pick from John Isner, Donald Young and brothers Bob and Mike Bryan.

Jamie Murray delayed his practice on Wednesday because he has a cold but it is not expected to affect his chances of playing in the tie.

His brother Andy last played in Scotland in 2011, since when he has won Olympic gold, the US Open and Wimbledon.

The 7,500-capacity Emirates Arena is expected to be full, and the British number one added: "I would expect that they'll get right into it.

"It looks like a great arena, it's the perfect size. If it's packed I'm sure they'll make a lot of noise and get right behind the team."

Great Britain's 2014 Davis Cup team

Andy Murray, 27, was born in Glasgow and raised in Dunblane, but now lives in Surrey and spends much of his year travelling.

"This is home," he said. "This is where I grew up. This is where my family live.

"Except for me and my brother they virtually all still live in Dunblane. I still have very strong ties to Dunblane for a number of reasons."

Britain won both opening singles rubbers as they dominated last year's tie, which was played in a muted atmosphere in the San Diego Padres baseball stadium.

"I think when we played the Americans last year they perhaps didn't make the most of home advantage in terms of atmosphere, and we will," captain Smith said.

Courier said his team were well prepared for a more lively crowd this time.

"That's kind of the beauty of Davis Cup, you don't want the crowd to be docile," the four-time Grand Slam champion said. "You don't remember that.

"There is something beautiful for a player to be able to silence the crowd with a shot, if you're the foreign player."

And he admitted he was "envious" of European crowds.

A tongue-in-cheek Courier said: "I'm envious of the chanting and the cheering and the organisation in the stands that the Europeans and also the Latin American teams tend to have versus our sad, pathetic, 'U-S-A' chant which is the only one we can seem to come up with!" BBC

Last edited by a moderator:
Back