Sports ATP World Tours: Novak Djokovic ends year as world number one with win over Berdych

World number one Novak Djokovic defeated Tomas Berdych to make the semifinals of the season ending ATP World Tours in London.

The Serb trounced the Croatian player in straight sets, winning 6-2 6-2 in their encounter on Friday.

Djokovic with the win has now cemented his place as the world number, which means that he will finish the year in that position.

"Definitely one of the best," Djokovic said of his performance. "Obviously I hoped I could continue the way I played in the first two matches. It's been a long year, a long season, it's an incredible achievement and I want to thank my team and my family and all the people who supported me.

"I'm aware that being number one in the world is the biggest challenges a tennis player can have. It's an incredible feeling and I'm very happy.

"I've been playing since I was four. I was very fortunate to have very knowledgably people, the people who believed in me and believed in my talent."

rsz_djokovic.jpg

Back