Metro Borno Resident Writes Governor Shettima, 'We Are Dying Of Water Shortage'

P

PressRoom

Usman Babakura, a resident of Borno state has written Governor Kashim Shettima through the Commissioner on Water Resources, on the effects of water shortage in some communities in the state.

Shettima.jpg
----

OFFICE OF THE COMMISSIONER,

MINISTRY OF WATER RESOURCES,

MAIDUGURI, BORNO STATE.

27 JULY, 2016.

Dear Sir,

I am writing you a letter for the first time openly, and I am sorry if in any way I will hurt you. I decide to write you because I have no means to reach you.

Sir, on behalf of the entire people of this state, most especially people who depend on water from Water Treatment Plant sources such as: 202, 303, University of Maiduguri, Mairi, New G.R.A, Gwange and other towns, I wish to express my dismay and concern.

Sir, the people of these towns are in a very terrible situation with the scarcity of water – which constitutes human basic needs.

Sir, it's been 5 days that we have been short of water supply, reasons unknown to us. I want to believe you are aware of how expensive food items are across the country due to food shortage. Most especially for the people of Borno state, that are everyday faced with the difficulties to fend for their families due to Internally Displace Persons (IDP) living among them, which has not caused an increment in their daily, monthly, or annual income.

If we grapple with problems of how to feed today, and the shortage of water in pots in our houses, then death is imminent on us. While majority of the rich men and public office holders have boreholes in their houses and farms; and water tankers supply them water for office use.

Sir, again, our question is: Why have we not had water supply since Sunday, 24 July, 2016?

If there would be a cut in water supply, would it not be okay if we were informed before hand?

On a final note, I want to you to know that hundreds of community residents have already taken ill due to water shortage. We can only hope and pray it doesn't lead to untimely death. But this is hinged on a quick intervention.

Thank you for taking time to read this letter.

Yours Sincerely,
Usman Babakura,
Concerned Citizen

Back