Entertainment Chimamanda Adichie : 10 Quotes Showing Why She's Our Favourite Feminist

A

abujagirl

Nigerian Author, Chimamanda Adichie turned 39 today. She is renowned for her award wining books and her strong opinions on Feminism.

Chi fem.jpg

Check out 10 powerful quotes on Feminism from the 'Half a yellow sun' author:

• Masculinity is a hard, small cage, and we put boys inside this cage.
  • Of course I am not worried about intimating men. The type of man who will be intimidated is exactly the type of man I have no interest in.
  • The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are.
  • We spend too much time teaching girls to worry about what boys think of them.
  • Culture does not make people. People make culture. If it is true that the full humanity of women is not our culture, then we can and must make it our culture.
  • I have chosen to no longer be apologetic for my femaleness and my femininity. And I want to be respected in all of my femaleness because I deserve to be.
  • We teach girls shame. 'Close your legs. Cover yourself.' We make them feel as though being born female they’re already guilty of something. And so, girls grow up to be women who cannot say they have desire. They grow up to be women who silence themselves. They grow up to be women who cannot say what they truly think. And they grow up — and this is the worst thing we do to girls — they grow up to be women who have turned pretense into an art form."
  • Gender as it functions today is a grave injustice. I am angry. We should all be angry. Anger has a long history of bringing about positive change.
  • My own definition is a feminist is a man or a woman who says, yes, there’s a problem with gender as it is today and we must fix it, we must do better. All of us, women and men, must do better.
  • A woman at a certain age who is unmarried, our society teaches her to see it as a deep personal failure. And a man, after a certain age isn’t married, we just think he hasn’t come around to making his pick.

Back