Sports I am not loved by Italy - Mario Balotelli

T

Titilope Adeuja

Balotelli.JPG Italian striker Mario Balotelli has refused to be blamed for the nation's exit from the World Cup as is being reported in the media.

The Nazionale crashed out with only three points after losing 1-0 to Uruguay in which Balotelli played only the first forty-five minutes.

Balotelli scored Italy's second goal of the tournament against England, with a lot expected high on the 23-year old before the tournament began.

However, Balotelli has hit back at critics that he has given his all for the team and has a 'clear conscience' in the country's campaign in Brazil.

"I am Mario Balotelli, I'm 23 and I haven't chosen to be Italian.

"I've really wanted to be because I was born in Italy and I've always lived in Italy.

"I was really looking forward to this World Cup and I'm saddened, angry and disappointed with myself.

"Perhaps I could have scored against Costa Rica, yes you (the fans) were right but then? What's the problem then?

"I'm not going to bring it down on me just this time because Mario Balotelli has given everything to the national team and has not made a mistake (from a character standpoint).

"So find another excuse somewhere else because Mario Balotelli has a clear conscience and is ready to move on stronger than ever.

"I am proud to have given everything for my country."

Born with a Ghanaian heritage, the criticism touched the striker who replied about his background.

"Perhaps, as some of you say, I'm not really Italian.

"The Africans wouldn't have blamed one of their brothers. Never. In this, we black, as you call us, we are light years ahead of you.

"Disgrace is not one that misses a goal or runs less or more. Disgraceful are these things (unfair criticism)."

Meanwhile, Balotelli's Chief Executive Officer at Milan, Adriano Galliani, is not seeing the reasons for the criticisms.

"I only have one thing to say: I don't understand why all criticism seems to be focused on Mario Balotelli, the only forward who actually scored a goal, the only one who created chances.

"The others, as far as I'm concerned, didn't do much. It looks like it was only Balotelli who was eliminated, I don't understand.

"I really can't figure out why, so I won't comment any further. I've just noticed that all criticism is against Balotelli. Apparently he's the only football player that is playing for Italy."

Last edited:
Back